With the English onion and apple season running simultaneously this recipe combines both of these crops to make a satisfying autumnal dish. Cheddar, Caerphilly or a local goat’s cheese also provide pleasing results
4 large onions
225g Bramley apples (or a sharp eating apple)
100g fresh breadcrumbs
100g cheese crumbled or grated
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Peel the onions, then cook them in a large pan of boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.
- Remove the middle of the onions, leaving a few layers as an outside shell.
- Chop up the scooped out onion.
- Peel, core and dice the apples into small pieces.
- Mix the chopped onion with the breadcrumbs, apple and cheese.
- Press the mixture into the onion shells.
- Place the onions in an ovenproof dish, dotting the top of each with a little butter.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Serve with warm crusty bread.