This tart is a great springtime treat to be shared with family and friends. It looks impressive, yet is really simple to prepare.
1 x 375g pack of ready-rolled puff pastry
4 egg yolks
200g crème fraiche
100ml double cream
2 tbsp grated cheddar (Godsell’s is ideal and available in the chiller)
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
Beaten egg for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C.
- Unroll the pastry and place on a baking sheet.
- Trim the asparagus and peel the ends to remove any woody parts of the stem.
- With a sharp knife, using the point, score a line around the pastry about 2cm inside the edge. Lightly prick inside the rectangle with a fork and then brush the border with beaten egg.
- Lay the asparagus in a neat line, all the tips facing the same way inside the pastry rectangle.
- Mix together the crème fraiche, egg yolks, mustard and cream. Season and spoon over the asparagus.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Turn the oven down to 190˚C if the pastry is cooking too quickly.
- Serve with a tomato salad.