Although it takes a little while to bake, the preparation of this recipe is so simple. It requires very little watching once in the oven, perfect for busy or tiring days. Try other flavour combinations such as smoked salmon and broccoli, roasted vegetable or how about asparagus in a few months?
Serves 4 – 6
65g self raising flour
65g grated cheddar cheese
1 tsp rapeseed oil plus extra
6 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
2 tomatoes sliced finely (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Wash the leeks well and then slice in half along the entire length. Next slice each half finely into semi circles. Rinse under running water to ensure they are thoroughly clean.
- Prepare the bacon by removing the rind and any excess fat. Cut into thin strips.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the leeks until softened.
- Using rapeseed oil lightly grease a 1.5 litre capacity baking dish.
- Spread the leeks over the base of the baking dish.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and flour. Add the uncooked bacon and cheese and stir well to combine. Pour over the leeks.
- Arrange the tomato slices on top if using and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for a further ten until the quiche is set and golden.