Asparagus Soup with Poached Egg
A smooth and velvety full flavoured soup which is just as good served chilled on a warm day
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock
75ml double cream (optional)
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
1. Prepare the asparagus by cutting away and discarding the tough, stringy ends of the stalks. Chop the remaining asparagus into 1 inch (2.5 cm) lengths.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a gentle heat and cook the chopped onion for 5 minutes until it is soft and translucent. Do not allow the onion to colour.
3. Add the chopped asparagus stalks and stock and simmer for 20 minutes with a lid on.
4. Remove from the heat, allow to cool slightly and then blend until smooth.
5. Season to taste.
6. Just before serving reheat the soup and bring a wide casserole pan, with sufficient water to poach an egg, to the boil.
7. Quickly add four eggs to the water and poach for a couple of minutes so the centre remains runny.
8. Ladle the soup into bowls, top with an egg, piercing the white to allow the yolk to escape.
9. Serve with fingers of thick toasted bread.