A lighter version of a fish cake. Serve in a toasted bread roll with a handful of dressed salad.
750g skinless firm fish fillets
(pollack, cod, haddock, coley, hake)
80g stale white breadcrumbs
3 spring onions chopped
15ml lemon juice (optional)
½ tsp ground black pepper
Generous pinch of cayenne pepper
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
90g grated cheddar
1 whisked egg
Plain seasoned flour for dusting
1 tbsp vegetable oil
4 bread rolls toasted
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp chopped chives
2 tsps chopped capers
- Cube the fish and process in a food processor for 20-30 seconds, until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the fish apart from the flour and oil. Mix well and divide into eight portions. Shape into round patties, place on a tray and refrigerate for15 minutes until firm.
- Before cooking toss the patties in the seasoned flour. Shake off any excess.
- Heat the oil in a non stick frying pan. Cook at a medium heat for 5 minutes on both sides or until golden and cooked through. Alternatively BBQ on a flatplate.
- Make the mayonnaise by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Serve in a bread roll with lettuce and a spoonful of the herby mayo.