This intensely savoury dish is packed with flavour. Cavolo Nero, a black cabbage is enhanced with softened anchovies that melt on eating.
500g dried penne pasta
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
Bunch of cavolo nero
1 red chilli seeded and finely chopped
50g Cook’s & Co anchovy fillets
75g grated Parmesan
1. Wash the cavolo nero thoroughly and then strip the leaf from the central stalk. Shred the leaf finely.
2. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, add the pasta and cook according to the instructions.
3. Heat a wide bottomed lidded saucepan. Add the kale with ½ cup of boiling water and cover. Steam over a medium heat until the cavolo nero has softened. Add extra water if necessary. When cooked remove the cavolo nero from the pan and wipe away any residual water remaining in the pan with a clean cloth or kitchen towel.
4. Cut the chilli in half lengthways. Use a teaspoon to scrape out the seeds and veins if you prefer a milder dish. Finely dice the chilli.
5. Drain the anchovies and chop.
6. Heat1 tbsp olive oil in the cleaned pan and fry the chilli and anchovies for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute, taking care not to burn the garlic.
7. Add the cooked cavolo nero and continue to cook, stirring to combine the flavours and gently crisp the black cabbage.
8. Drain the pasta, return to the pan and then add the anchovy and kale mixture, the remaining tbsp of oil and parmesan. Toss to mix.
9. Serve with extra Parmesan shavings if desired.