Similar in style to a cottage pie this recipe makes use of some of the staple ingredients used in British cookery. The addition of wine and caramelised onions imparts a deep savoury flavour to the dish
750g potato, cut into large chunks
½ tsp wholegrain mustard
1 tsp cold pressed rape seed oil
8 Cotswold Farmer Farmhouse Gold pork sausages
3 onions, peeled, halved, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
½ tsp dried thyme
3 carrots, peeled, thickly sliced
250g mushrooms quartered
200ml full bodied red wine
150ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp Cottage Delight Caramelised Onion Chutney Sauce
- Boil the potatoes until tender, drain and set aside. Warm the milk and butter, then mash into the potatoes with the mustard. Season to taste.
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking, heat a large shallow non-stick pan. Add the sausages, carrots, onions and cook until golden. Remove the sausages from the pan and set aside. Drain any excess fat from the sausage pan before adding the thyme, garlic and mushrooms. Fry until the mushrooms have softened.
- Add the wine and allow it to bubble and reduce by half.
- Add the stock and the caramelized onion chutney and then simmer until it has reduced a little to make a shiny gravy and the carrots are cooked through. Season to taste.
- Add the sausages to the gravy. Spoon into a baking dish and top with the mashed potato.
- Bake covered with foil at 200˚C for 30 minutes (or 45 minutes if chilled). Remove the foil for the last ten minutes of cooking time to brown the mash.